Re: Integrating community into existing QA process

On Aug 7, 2009, at 12:33 AM, Ursula Junque wrote:

2009/8/6 Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Karl, Matt, Ursula, Diogo,

In the today's team lead call, Curtis raised the issue of QA for
community contributions and how we're are already overloaded with QA.

We've agreed to try to integrate community into our existing QA process,
at least for things they can easily help with.

This is something I think the community can really help us with. In my experience, while not everyone is a hardcore coder, lots of people are very willing to help test things if it's easy for them to do. I think it would be good for us to give some kind of acknowledgement to our hard working users for helping us this way too.

So one thing developers can do is use the standard template in their merge proposal cover letter, and to be sure to write the QA plan part of that from the perspective of one of our users. Put yourself in their place and think about how you would test your change on staging or edge. Try not to use special environments or scenarios involving launchpad.dev since most of our users won't have that available. It's not difficult for developers to translate from staging to launchpad.dev.

If this information is easily gathered in the QA page, then maybe Matthew's metronome email can be used to encourage community participation in testing these. I don't know how much extra work that would be though.

-Barry