Re: [Launchpad-users] RFC: Launchpad package navigation redesign

On Sunday 09 August 2009 23:23:24 Michael Bienia wrote:
> What about replacing the ticks and crosses with links (and a package
> icon) to the actual deb for that binary package on that arch?
> In case I need an old version of a deb (e.g. for a downgrade till a bug
> is fixed or to check some fixes) I usually need on the current pages too
> many tries till I find the correct link to get to the page with the link
> for the deb.

This is a great idea!  One of the aims of the redesign is to reduce the number
of page loads you need to get at important information.

> BTW: is the publishing history of binary packages (e.g.
> https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/i386/gdm) also covered by this
> redesign (as couldn't stop this data in the current mockups)? I use this
> page rarely but it was useful in the past to find out what happened to
> some binary package (binary promotion/demotion).
> And everytime I need this page it's hard to find. It's nice that the
> current pages are linked back and forth, but the many links make it
> sometimes hard to find the one link one searches. When I needed some
> specific page (e.g. to get an old deb or the binary publishing history)
> I sometimes found myself on the page I was two clicks before instead of
> the one I was looking for. I hope the redesign helps in this regard too.

This is one of the pages that I'd hope we'd be able to drop.  So I have some
questions to help me understand what we can do with this:

 1. Do the binary publication details ever vary across architectures?  If not
we could drop that page and move the data to
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+package/gdm and link to it from the
binary package names in the table on the mockup at
http://people.canonical.com/~ed/dspr_mockup2.png.

 2. This is the list of the pages we were hoping to drop:
    * /ubuntu/series/+source/package/version
    * /ubuntu/series/+package/package
    * /ubuntu/series/arch/package
    * /ubuntu/series/arch/package/version

Is there anything there that you depend on that we need to worry about?

Thanks