Re: [Launchpad-users] RFC: Launchpad package navigation redesign

On 2009-08-07 17:00:09 +0100, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Friday 07 August 2009 10:27:04 Jonathan Lange wrote:
> >   * (cjwatson) On the DSPR page, it's important to be able to quickly
> > get at old versions of binary packages. This helps advanced users who
> > want to test how newer versions of packages have broken their system.
>
> That page doesn't currently do this - is this a new requirement?  I'm happy to
> accommodate but I want to make sure you're not referring to the DSP page.
>
> >   * (cjwatson) The dspr_mockup.png file says that 'Table entries link
> > to build pages'. However, every build for a given (arch,
> > sourcepackage) will be the same.
>
> Right, that's an issue.
>
> How about the headings link to the builds instead, and we put the ticks and
> crosses next to the headings?  The table can then contain a check mark where a
> package is built for each arch.

What about replacing the ticks and crosses with links (and a package
icon) to the actual deb for that binary package on that arch?
In case I need an old version of a deb (e.g. for a downgrade till a bug
is fixed or to check some fixes) I usually need on the current pages too
many tries till I find the correct link to get to the page with the link
for the deb.

> > > - The "Full publishing history" link should be below the publishing
> > > history, not below the PPA list
>
> Maybe.  This one is a long-running dilemma because we want the PPA section on
> the page with no scrolling.  Having said that, all the sections are collapsed
> by default so I'll experiment with some real data.

It certainly should move above the the PPA list as it contains only
uploads to the archive and not uploads to PPAs. Having the link below
the PPA list it might suggest that it lists also all PPA uploads.
And it certainly avoid that mixing of distribution data and PPA data
that we currently have.

BTW: is the publishing history of binary packages (e.g.
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/i386/gdm) also covered by this
redesign (as couldn't stop this data in the current mockups)? I use this
page rarely but it was useful in the past to find out what happened to
some binary package (binary promotion/demotion).
And everytime I need this page it's hard to find. It's nice that the
current pages are linked back and forth, but the many links make it
sometimes hard to find the one link one searches. When I needed some
specific page (e.g. to get an old deb or the binary publishing history)
I sometimes found myself on the page I was two clicks before instead of
the one I was looking for. I hope the redesign helps in this regard too.

Michael