Re: PROPOSAL: Release Manager Rotation

On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Danilo Šegan wrote:

This means that in the first few runs, we should be a bit more flexibile
as we define the position in more detail and document exactly what is
essential for carrying out a successful release. The wikipages we have
seen are definitely a good start, but without going through an actual
release or two and writing everything down, I'd never claim them to be
complete.

Just as a point of comparison, I wrote PEP 101 8 years ago and it was still updated every time I did a release (or every time the current RM does a release). I'm not sure whether such a checklist approach is appropriate for Launchpad, but the procedures must be written down and it must be a living document. A checklist is a good way to get reproducibility, but even better is to script as much of the process as you can. You can only do that once you really understand exactly how to make a release. Yes, Launchpad is different because it's a web app but I think the same general principles still apply.

-Barry