Re: RFC: Launchpad package navigation redesign

Hi folks, I've done a new mockup of the Distro Source Package page here:
https://dev.launchpad.net/VersionThreeDotO/Soyuz/NavigationRedesignUI
which addresses most of the issues raised, but with some experimental changes.

On Saturday 08 August 2009 18:29:07 Colin Watson wrote:
> Colin vaguely remembers that at some point in the past somebody changed
> alsa-utils to do <something>, but it's no longer in the current
> changelog due to an intervening sync from Debian. He wants to use his
> browser's text search to look for the changelog entry in all the uploads
> that Launchpad's seen. (A search box is too slow because he can't quite
> remember the exact string.)

I've now put a link to a separate page that will contain the full change log.
Optionally, we could make it appear in the same page using an AJAX request but
I've not thought too hard about that yet, I want to see what people think
about having it on a separate page.  This will speed up loading of the
existing page until I can fix the performance issues on the change log
rendering.

> The scalability problems are surely mostly because at some point in the
> past somebody decided that it'd be a great idea to HTMLify person links
> and such ... as we've discussed before, it can be done a lot more
> quickly if you don't bother to HTMLify things.

An ever-increasing history is surely not scalable regardless?  As for the
linkification, it's the person links and particularly the "LP:" bug links.
The latter was a frequently requested feature 2 years ago so I am loathe to
drop it, but maybe we can do that just for this page.

> I don't mind whether it's on the main source package page or not - I
> just want it to be available somewhere. Simply putting it off in a
> corner somewhere so that freaks like me can search for uploads would be
> fine, I think.

That's what I've done.  I welcome more feedback from other people about it.

Thanks!