Re: Launchpad mailing lists and users' needs.

Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> How do they handle these haphazard bug reports today? Are they emailed
> in, and does the fact that they emailed means that the reporter gets
> email back on any traffic related to that bug?
>
> I'm asking because if they don't care if the user can be automatically
> contacted once the bug is reported, they could just use an email gateway
> that filed bugs using a forget reporter. It's not great but if that's
> the tradeoff..

The original reporter needs to stay in the loop -- that's the way the
current tracker works, and it's necessary, as a developer often needs to
get more information from the reporter.

> I think part of the issue is that Emacs users are going to be a special
> bunch; they will definitely be happy to use email, where most users of
> desktop software are comfortable using a web browser to view and
> manipulate bugs (cf the Ajax work we've done, for instance). Our email
> interface is definitely very useful to people that have Launchpad
> accounts and care to GPG-sign, and I agree with Martin that we should
> use SPF and DomainKeys to simplify that requirement. The next step in
> improving that would be lazy account and bug creation.

Well, there's also the distinction between Emacs developers (many of
whom want the email interface) and users (who don't know or care, they
usually report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bug anyway, which can do
anything it wants on the back end).

-K