App-specific pages accessed on the mainsite

Hi there,

While fixing our breadcrumb infrastructure to be able to generate the
breadcrumbs listed on https://wiki.canonical.com/Launchpad/UI/Navigation
I came across these three pages that behave differently when accessed on
the mainsite instead of the vhost they were intended to be.

1. The +translate page for an IPOFile is a view which redirects me to
   the same URL on the translations vhost.
   https://edge.launchpad.net/tangocms/trunk/+pots/tangocms-aliases/es/+translate

2. An IBug's +index page is available on the mainsite just like it is
   on bugs.launchpad.net:
   https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/165293

3. And the +index page of an IDistroSeriesLanguage is only available on
   the translations vhost, so trying to access it on mainsite will 404.
   https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+lang/af

I think it makes sense to always do like 1 and redirect to the
appropriate vhost, so I'm wondering if there's any reason for 2 not
redirecting and for 3 not being available on the mainsite or
redirecting?

If it makes sense to have 2 and 3 behave like 1, would it make sense to
have all the app-specific pages behave this way? (I haven't yet
considered how easy/difficult it'd be to do so)

If you're wondering why I care about this, it's because we kind of need
that if we want to have a generic solution for generating the
breadcrumbs for all (most, in fact) different objects.

Guilherme Salgado <salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>