Re: DSP mockup thoughts

On Monday 17 August 2009 18:14:22 Curtis Hovey wrote:
> I am looking at
>     http://people.canonical.com/~ed/dsp_mockup_with_linkage.png
>
> I do not understand the latest release portlet. I expect to see the
> owner and version information in in the <Object-type> information
> portlet in th top-left of the content. Look at a project and project
> group in dev or edge.

That portlet is there based on other feedback I got from Martin, or you, I
don't remember who.  It's the same macro that's used to put the portlet on the
current DSPR page, but I am moving it to the DSP.

> See that the owner, version info is always in that location. We want
> every +index for a content object to place this information in the same
> location so that a user knows where to find it. The distribution page is
> doing this too (draft https://devpad.canonical.com/~curtis/ubuntu.png).
> See that main is listed in this portlet.

That's a nice change to that page.

However, I think you should retain the package search at the top in a 100%
width portlet as searching is a common operation.  Burying it in the page
makes it harder to find quickly.

> Moving this portlet to the same place as other object is not easy since
> there is no portlet for the top right. You do not need to divid the
> content into two column. I am sure you tried it and decide it wasted
> space. I propose that we move the project icon and summary into a right
> portlet in the content. The icons are too close and compete with
> eachother.

That's why I had left-padded it in my original design, but maybe that wasn't
enough.

> The summary will rarely fill the space -- there is a
> whitespace problem that can be solved by moving the summary. If you do
> not want to move the icon and summary, consider the icon so that it does
> not compete with the branding.

I'll try a two-column layout at the top and see how it looks.  Watch this
space.