Re: Code -> Branches, and a new meaning for Code

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Tim Penhey<tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> This has been floated before, but perhaps we could add this in for 3.0.
>
> <thumper> sinzui: rename code -> branches for the "tab", and add a "code" tab
> for projects that goes to loggerhead
> <sinzui> +1
> <thumper> I'll copy that into an email for beuno
>
> Comments?

Do we even need two tabs?

Why not have the file browsing loggerhead view for trunk on the same
page as the branch listing? Maybe we don't even have a branch listing
as the default page? Or maybe only list a few branches?

> This fits with documentation projects, where there isn't "code", for the branch
> listing at least.

Yeah, and I'll think you'll find bug reports about the name of the
'Code' tab, along with some insightful comments.

> It gives projects a one click to see the code.

That's an important property I think. Another important property is at
most two easy, obvious clicks to download the latest source tarball.

What are some other desirable traits for this area of code?

> Questions:
>  1) What about projects that don't have "code" like documentation projects

'Source' if you absolutely had to, but I think this is just another
reason why we shouldn't have an extra tab.

>  2) What about packages?  Enable if a linked branch?

Presumably it would be enabled under the same conditions as for
enabling the project tab.

The Code tab does need some sort of change to it though. The name is
confusing, the process of getting to actual code browsing is far too
heavy weight, and no one is sure how to download a project from
Launchpad :)

jml