Re: Code -> Branches, and a new meaning for Code

On Aug 18, 2009, at 1:24 AM, Tim Penhey wrote:

This has been floated before, but perhaps we could add this in for 3.0.

<thumper> sinzui: rename code -> branches for the "tab", and add a "code" tab
for projects that goes to loggerhead
<sinzui> +1
<thumper> I'll copy that into an email for beuno

Comments?

This fits with documentation projects, where there isn't "code", for the branch
listing at least.

It gives projects a one click to see the code.

Questions:
1) What about projects that don't have "code" like documentation projects
2) What about packages?  Enable if a linked branch?

My concern with "branches" is that the term assumes a more than passing understanding of how a VCS works. I think a better term that should be instantly recognizable and applicable across types of projects would be "Files".

It's not a precise term, since of course we also track directories, and Files might imply also downloads (and PPAs?) but I actually think that's fine. I would expect to go to Files and find all the artifacts of the project, in whatever downloadable form is most natural. E.g. instructions for branching, links to download, help in hooking up to Ubuntu, web browser of source code. Make it a one-stop-shop for everything I can grab for the project and I think Files makes sense as a tab name.

-Barry