Re: Breadcrumbs for code bits

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:57 +1200, Tim Penhey wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Right now the breadcrumbs and primary pillar for branches are quite broken.
> I don't mind fixing it, but I want some consensus on what we are wanting.

I'm working on the infrastructure to make it easy to generate the
breadcrumbs for 3.0, which are outlined on
https://wiki.canonical.com/Launchpad/UI/Navigation

> The way I look at it, we have several things to identify the primary pillar
> and breadcrumbs for.  Actually the primary pillar is pretty easy I think.
>
> +junk branches, we use the owner
> product branches we use the product
> package branches we use what?  Distribution?  Or do we use source package?

AIUI, the problem with branches is that the order of traversed objects
doesn't match the order of the breadcrumbs we want, so unlike other
apps, you'll still need your custom Hierarchy view -- which you already
have.

Once my changes land, your custom view will just need to provide an
'objects' property which returns the objects for which you want
breadcrumbs.

> Next we have breadcrumbs.
>
> We have:
>  * +junk branches
>     e.g. for Eric the Viking
>     Eric the Viking (mainsite?) > Branches (code) > branch_name

In this case your custom view's 'objects' would return [person, branch]
and the standard view would take care of adding the extra breadcrumb in
between them.

>  * Product branches
>    e.g. for Gnome Terminal
>      Gnome Terminal (mainsite) > Branches (code) > branch_name
>  * Package branches - harder
>    e.g. for Ubuntu Karmic Evolution
>     Ubuntu (mainsite) > Karmic (mainsite or code?) > Evolution (mainsite or
> code?) > branch_name
>
> What about a merge proposal / code review for a branch?  What does this add to
> the breadcrumbs?

Martin added an example for a bmp too. It is not as trivial as the
others, but it can be done with a custom Hierarchy view.

--
Guilherme Salgado <salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>