Re: Proposed Policy for Documenting Custom Distributions

On August 18, 2009, Gary Poster wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> > On August 18, 2009, Gary Poster wrote:
> >> Anyone have any comments or concerns about this?
> >>
> >> https://dev.launchpad.net/PolicyForDocumentingCustomDistributions
> >
> > I agree with this policy. I think using a "foreign" repository (a
> > branch not
> > hosted in Launchpad) is only acceptable if we don't have an import
> > of the
> > branch. We want more code imports, so we should revert to using a non-
> > Launchpad hosted branch only if it's not possible to have an
> > automatic code
> > import.
>
> I'm happy with that if we are using a revision of upstream's trunk.
>
> In the case of using a (presumably short-lived) branch from upstream,
> I'd prefer to stay upstream.  I have a few reasons for that, and here
> I'm particularly thinking of subversion, since that's what zope.org is
> using.
>
> - If a branch is short-lived, and intended to be merged into trunk,
> why should we track it?
>
> - As far as I know, Launchpad automatic imports of subversion still do
> not use the library that allows efficient imports of branches from a
> subversion trunk.
>
> - Using bzr-svn is cool, but it is not an automatic import, it tends
> to be uninstalled frequently if you follow the bzr-dev PPA, and last
> time I checked (recently) it produces branches that are not compatible
> with Launchpad.

For subversion, I think you are right. At least, until we migrate to python
2.5+ (which should happen soon right ;-) and that the code team switches to
bzr-svn for SVN import. At that point, I think "prefer branch" made from code
import could be the default policy.

The main reason to prefer Launchpad branch is that it makes it easy to review
any local changes. Another good reason to prefer code imports is that it sves
me to have to install other (D)VCS packages. bzr rocks :-)

> Hoping that you are OK with this, I've changed the wiki page.  The
> "Considerations" section now reads as follows.
>
> -----
> Do we need to keep all branches in Launchpad, or is it acceptable to
> defer to canonical upstream repositories for a given project?
>
> The current proposed solution specifies that it is OK to defer to
> upstream repositories if we do not have an import of the branch. It is
> particularly suggested that you defer to upstream if you are using a
> (hopefully) short-lived branch from the upstream repository.
> Otherwise, if you are using a revision of the project's trunk, it is
> preferred that you use a Launchpad automatic import.
> -----

I think that's perfect for now!

--
Francis J. Lacoste