Re: Proposed Policy for Documenting Custom Distributions

On Aug 18, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

On August 18, 2009, Gary Poster wrote:
Anyone have any comments or concerns about this?

https://dev.launchpad.net/PolicyForDocumentingCustomDistributions

I agree with this policy. I think using a "foreign" repository (a branch not hosted in Launchpad) is only acceptable if we don't have an import of the
branch. We want more code imports, so we should revert to using a non-
Launchpad hosted branch only if it's not possible to have an automatic code
import.

I'm happy with that if we are using a revision of upstream's trunk.

In the case of using a (presumably short-lived) branch from upstream, I'd prefer to stay upstream. I have a few reasons for that, and here I'm particularly thinking of subversion, since that's what zope.org is using.

- If a branch is short-lived, and intended to be merged into trunk, why should we track it?

- As far as I know, Launchpad automatic imports of subversion still do not use the library that allows efficient imports of branches from a subversion trunk.

- Using bzr-svn is cool, but it is not an automatic import, it tends to be uninstalled frequently if you follow the bzr-dev PPA, and last time I checked (recently) it produces branches that are not compatible with Launchpad.

Hoping that you are OK with this, I've changed the wiki page. The "Considerations" section now reads as follows.

-----
Do we need to keep all branches in Launchpad, or is it acceptable to defer to canonical upstream repositories for a given project?

The current proposed solution specifies that it is OK to defer to upstream repositories if we do not have an import of the branch. It is particularly suggested that you defer to upstream if you are using a (hopefully) short-lived branch from the upstream repository. Otherwise, if you are using a revision of the project's trunk, it is preferred that you use a Launchpad automatic import.
-----

We only have four custom distributions right now (we are on Storm
1.15). I'd propose that we apply this policy retroactively to the
feedvalidator distribution, but not worry about the Zope-project
distributions like zc.buildout because they are under review for
upstream releases right now, so hopefully we don't have to live alone
with our custom releases of those for much longer.

Agreed.

Cool.

Thank you

Gary