Re: [RFC] Build branch to archive

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Aaron Bentley<aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Celso Providelo wrote:
>> If we add a BranchJob FK on BuildQueue we can continue to use the same
>> dispatching mechanisms against the same pool of builders and also
>> manage priority in the same way for both types of build.
>>
>> This way dispatching and collecting results can be delegated from BQ
>> to one of its children, Build or BranchJob, and implemented according
>> each context.
>>
>> What do you guys think  about this ?
>
> I'm pretty confused.  I don't know what FK means in this context.

Foreign Key

> I know that Jobs provide their own queue system, so I don't know whether
>  BuildQueue duplicates that.

It possibly duplicates the queue infrastructure itself, and
additionally ordering/re-prioritizing which doesn't seem to be
possibly with the current Job table.

OTOH, Job provides support for:

* progress/timeout tracking
* expiration
* retry

which might be really useful.

Some of Job aspects doesn't fit Build very well, for instance:

* Requester
* Status
* Finished

because BuildQueue records are dropped once the job is complete and
the persistent information copied to the Build record itself.

The question here is what is worth re-using or re-factoring in this
implementation.

1. Job is great and might only require few tweaks to work for building
branches, although a lot more changes for executing jobs on the
existing build-farm.

2. BuildQueue is sort of ugly, only require few tweaks for building
branches, and is already prepared for executing job on the building
farm.

Theoretically speaking, porting source-building to use Job looks very
promising, however I don't really know how feasible it is in our
timeframe.

--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
IRC: cprov,  Jabber: cprov@xxxxxxxxxx, Skype: cprovidelo