Re: 3-0 Breadcrumbs UI and filling the heading slot

Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> У чет, 27. 08 2009. у 14:50 +0200, Michael Nelson пише:
>> I've got a branch landing soon that moves the breadcrumbs on 3-0 pages
>> into the main content to look like this:
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~michaeln/menu_3-0/0-LP_new_design_Bugs_v3.1-from-beuno.png
>>
>> There are two things to note:
>>
>> 1. The breadcrumbs no-longer display 'Launchpad' as the first item,
>
> Meaning that we have no link to launchpad.net home page anywhere
> anymore.  At least "launchpad" logo in the footer should link to
> https://launchpad.net/.

Yep - definitely, and I'm too hoping that there will be some other
LP-branding of some sort more visible up the top - but that's not my
decision :)

>> 2. The breadcrumbs will not render if there is not more than one
>> breadcrumb to display. This is because they appear directly below the
>> heading slot, which should always display the context.title.
>
> I find it weird how they suddenly appear with two items when the
> previous level page had no breadcrumbs.

But on the previous level you are viewing the root context (the
Evolution product)? I think it would be difficult to have a single
breadcrumb (re)stating "Evolution" - as it wouldn't be obvious that it
was a breadcrumb. Sure, having LP as the first bread-crumb could fix
that too... (might be worth chatting with Martin or Curtis about that,
or any other idea you have for how it could work).

>> Be wary of filling the heading slot
>> ===================================

>> As far as I understand, this is the correct thing to do *only* on +index
>> pages (Curtis' notes say "If this is the index of an object move <h1> to
>> the heading slot.") [1]. In all other cases we should instead:
>>
>> 1. *not* fill the heading slot - so that the default h2 context.title
>> displays there (with the breadcrumbs below), and
>> 2. Have an appropriate h1 in our own main content [2].
>
> So, while that might sound good in theory, what is the right approach
> for this page:
>
>   http://people.canonical.com/~danilo/tmp/headings-v1.png
>   http://people.canonical.com/~danilo/tmp/headings-v2.png
>
> I prefer the v1 layout: breadcrumbs tell us where we are, so just having
> a title of "Download translations" is good enough.
>
> v2 is following the guidelines below.

So I think if I was looking just at your page on its own, I'd agree that
the first one was better - although even then it's not obvious *what* it
is that you're currently browsing - it's only the breadcrumb that
indicates it there.

But I assume (I'm no authority on the matter) that the idea is the
context title will consistently tell you on any LP page what it is that
you're looking at. So people will always know where they are by looking
at the (usually-automatic) context-title + breadcrumbs (with one
exception being when the context is the root context - like a product in
this case).

Hopefully Curtis or Martin can let us know when they've time.

--
Michael