Re: Environmental test failures

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Max Bowsher<maxb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've had some bizarre test failures which I've finally tracked down to
> quirks of my preferred environment:

Hi Max,

Thanks for pointing these problems. You've also done great on this
transition to karmic and I haven't yet had a chance to say that your
work is highly appreciated.

> lp.soyuz.tests.test_packageupload.!ackageUploadTestCase.test_realiseUpload_for_delayed_copies
> fails rather cryptically if you happen to have set your umask to 002
> rather than 022.

Right, PU.realiseUpload() will raise CustomUploadBadUmask() in this
case, it's considered an run-time error.

(It seem to be a rather picky test, I agree)

An way to spot this clearer would be printing the testing 'logger'
contents if the assertion on line 185 fails.

What do you think ?

Can you file a bug on soyuz about it ?

> lp.archiveuploader.tests.test_ppauploadprocessor.TestPPAUploadProcessor.testPPAUploadResultingInNoBuilds
> and
> lp.archiveuploader.tests.test_uploadprocessor.TestUploadProcessor.testUploadResultingInNoBuilds
> fail rather cryptically if you happen to have a ~/.devscripts file
> definiing DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="-us -uc"

Uhm, this is FakePackager being horrible ... We could solve this
invoking `debuild` with '--no-conf' option, right ?

Soyuz bug ... (as you can see, we are doing very bad on this, sorry.)

Regarding changes on the testing guidelines, I agree that it doesn't
have any explicit mention for situations like these ones. Although
general testing approaches always require checks to be very specific
on pointing failures, specially on system pre-requisites. "All
failures should be clear" kind of covers this slip.

Nonetheless, I think you are more than welcome to participate on the
next reviewers meeting and raise this topic for discussion.

https://dev.launchpad.net/ReviewerMeetingAgenda

[]
--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>