Re: [Launchpad-users] RFC: Launchpad package navigation redesign

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Julian
Edwards<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback guys.
>
> On Friday 07 August 2009 10:27:04 Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> I showed the page to cjwatson & mpt: here's what they said (roughly):
>>
>>   * (cjwatson) It's very important to have a page that has every
>> upload and the changelog entry corresponding to each upload. This is
>> different from the current changelog, since changelog entries can be
>> deleted. Such a page needs to be structured so that the browser's text
>> search can be used to quickly find things.
>
> Colin, what's the use case for this?  I am just wondering if there's a better
> way of doing what you need.  The problem with doing this is that it's not
> scalable and a pretty costly page to render for some packages. We see a lot of
> timeouts in the OOPS reports, so if I can find a better way we'd avoid that?
> We'd also reduce end-user frustration.

As an Ubuntu Developer, I strongly agree with cjwatson. When already
working on Launchpad it's much easier to click on the link to the
package's overview page to see the changelog than downloading the
source or using another tool or site like packages.ubuntu.com. Having
the full searchable changelog is important for figuring out why a
change was done in the past. Particularly looking at sync or merge
requests that drops an Ubuntu local change.

Syncs are also the reason why having the changelog entry corresponding
to each upload is important. Syncing a package from Debian will revert
all Ubuntu specific changelog entries in both the source package and
on packages.ubuntu.com. In fact, as far as I know the package overview
page is the only place where this information is currently retained
(although, I suppose when all packages are in bzr it will be there as
well). If you suspect a change was dropped inadvertently or
inappropriately finding where it was introduced is essential. It also
makes it much more simple to tell if another Ubuntu developer has been
taking care of a package in the past despite the changelog having no
Ubuntu entries due to a sync....

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio