Re: Page titles, headings and breadcrumbs in 3.0

Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Curtis has been claiming how there is a rule that LaunchpadForm labels
> should be the same as page_title.

Really? The ProductEditView defines the label simply as "Edit details" -
I assume that's a page of Curtis'? (The page_title for this edit view is
"Change %s's details" % self.context.title)

> However, that is not written down
> anywhere, yet there is a rule saying how non-index pages (basically, all
> LaunchpadForm pages) should not fill the heading slot.
>
> At the moment, with recent changes from Michael Nelson, it means that
> context.title will be included as <h2> in the heading slot at all times,
> right above the breadcrumbs.

Just to clarify, I only moved the breadcrumbs - the default h2
context.title there has been in the 3-0 template for quite some time.

> So, in that case, we end up with the following situation:
>
>  <title>Something about context.title</title>
>
>  <h2>context.title</h2>
>  grandparent.displayname >>  parent.displayname >> context.displayname
>
>  <h1>Something about context.title</h1>
>
> Or, we'd be repeating context.title in three consecutive rows.  Also,
> sometimes, context.title is going to be quite long.
>

> For instance, a practical example:
>
>  <title>Edit template details for "evolution-2.2" in Ubuntu Hoary
> package "evolution"</title>
>
>  <h2>Template "evolution-2.2" in Ubuntu Hoary package "evolution"</h2>
>  Ubuntu >> 5.04 >> "evolution" package >> Translations >> evolution-2.2
>
>  <h1>Edit template details for "evolution-2.2" in Ubuntu Hoary package
> "evolution"</h1>
>
> So, what I usually do in those cases is use a generic h1 in the document
> body, eg. "Edit template details".  h2 with context.title above should
> give just about enough information.

+1, that's what I've been doing too (where appropriate), and it's
exactly what the ProductEditView does. (The only downside - as far as
I'm aware - is that the h1 is often a big factor in SEO, but so is the
page-title - I can't really comment on the impact there).

> If anyone tries to enforce a rule where LaunchpadForm h1 is the same as
> page_title, I'd be strongly opposed, at least until "do not fill heading
> slot" rule is lifted: the two can't live together, because they'd result
> in too much mess.
>
> Opinions?

I agree. :)

--