Re: Build- & test-related tags

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Francis J.
Lacoste<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On September 2, 2009, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just had a quick chat with Michael Hudson, who is our Build
>> Engineer[1] for this release cycle about bug tags. The reason being
>> that I want to file bugs usefully and contribute patches where they
>> are needed.
>>
>> We've currently got three related tags here:
>>   - build-infrastructure[2]
>>   - test-system[3]
>>   - spurious-test-failures[4]
>>
>> The 'test-system' tag seems to be particularly overloaded. It's used
>> for disabled tests, crappy tests, bugs in the testing infrastructure
>> and other things.
>>
>> Also, it would be really nice to have one place to look at for Build
>> Engineer-related bugs. I suggest,
>>
>>   * we create a new 'buggy-tests' tag
>>   * we abandon the 'test-system' tag
>>   * all bugs on 'test-system' move into either 'build-infrastructure',
>> 'buggy-tests' or 'spurious-test-failure'
>>

> I'm all for merging test-system into build-infrastructure.
>
> I don't understand the distinction between buggy-tests and spurious-test-
> failures. I think we only need one tag here and spurious-test-failure seems to
> be fine (although a little long).

The distinction is that there are some tests that are in some way
buggy that might not be failing spuriously.

e.g. the test_domination tests in bug 39880.

But you're right, we probably don't need it. As for tag length, well,
bugs has autocomplete on almost all of the forms where you can enter
it. :)

jml