Re: Today's project page review

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:01:35 -0300
Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wow, nice job! Some comments:
>
>     - I'm not sure the approach of trucating at the max length actually
>       preserves the version in many filenames. For instance:
>
>         foo-bar-baz-bazoo_22.443.tar.gz
>         the-macos-installers-often-have-long-names-2.44.dmg
>         you-know-anonymous-aheads-for-gold-4.11~ubuntu1.deb
>
>       You may have to return a 4-tuple to accomodate this.

Good point.

I guess there are two approaches to take. One is the approach I took,
which is to have a list of interesting things to look for, and the
other is the more general approach Curtis outlined.

For release files, I think the first approach - with the addition of
some code to also preserve interesting version information - would give
slightly better results.

For breadcrumbs, Curtis' approach would work best, and the first
approach would hardly do anything useful at all.

>     - I'd love to see a test that ensures this works for filenames with
>       multiple extensions (i.e. tar.gz)

Doh, I meant to add that. It does handle that correctly though, for the
compound extensions that mimetypes knows about anyway.

>     - I think a standard, default length for truncation should probably
>       be provided; it would at least suggest consistency.
>
>     - I think the default ellipsis should be [...] or else it will look
>       a bit weird
>
>     - I think the extension should probably be returned without the dot,
>       but I'm not sure. What would you expect as a caller?
>
> Thanks for trying this out. Curtis, I suspect you'll have some code to
> integrate soonish!

Thanks Curtis :)