Re: dev wiki, and silly launchpad tricks

Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I've also started a new page on the wiki for helpful Launchpad hacking
> tips.  I'm tired, so I hope I haven't duplicated a page that lives
> elsewhere already.  In any case, here it is:
>
> https://dev.launchpad.net/Launchpad%20Tricks%20and%20Tips

This is excellent, thank you!

I moved it to https://dev.launchpad.net/Debugging.  No criticism
intended by the move -- "Wiki maintenance is hard, let's go shopping."
I think we should try to structure the wiki essentially as a reference
document, with a few narrative paths leading from the front page or from
other prominent locations.  A "Tricks and Tips" page looks good at
first, but as it grows it raises two questions:

  1) When a reader shows up trying to learn about X, what would make
     them go to the "Tips and Tricks" page?

  2) When a reader shows up trying to get an overview of how to hack on
     Launchpad, what would make them turn to the "Tips and Tricks" page?

The answer to both is "nothing at all".  In other words, instead of a
generic Tips and Tricks page, we should just find the proper location
for *each* tip and trick as we add it.  In this case, it was high time
we started a Debugging page, and if people see other material in the
wiki that belongs there, please move it there (leaving cross-links as
appropriate).

I'll ask about the reST format thing in another mail, as it's really a
separate topic.

Thanks again.  My page rename notwithstanding, this is a really good
tip!

-Karl