Re: Using reStructured Text instead of moin syntax in the wiki?

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:23:23AM +0200, Henning Eggers wrote:
> I am *very* surprised that everybody is now so surprised at the change
> which to me is just the logical consequence of a decision that was made
> some time ago. What went wrong here? Why does nobody remember that
> switching from Moin to reSt was agreed upon?

Because we don't use any reSt features for something useful. The only
thing we use is the header syntax really, so people aren't motivated to
switch. Doing something "just because" is never a good reason. There has
to be a clear advantage. Saying that it's better because it's good
to standardize on one format doesn't quite work here, since we've
standardized on Moin in the rest of the company (meaning we have to
use Moin syntax for other things anyway). If reSt actually gave us a
functional advantage things would probably be different. And by this I
mean something we actually use. Saying that you can do X and Y with reSt
is also not a good argument, unless we actually do X and Y.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt