Re: Headings and page titles and breadcrumbs

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Curtis Hovey
<curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Salgado, Barry.
>
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 08:10 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>   * If for some reason you do not want to use the default reversed-
>> breadcrumbs in your <title>, implement the `page_title` attribute in
>> your view, and set the view class attribute
>> `override_title_breadcrumbs` to `True`.  Generally, you will ''not''
>> want to do this, so that the default reverse-breadcrumbs are used.
>> You should take the time to convert any `pagetitle.py` entries for
>> your view to using a `page_title` attribute.
>>   * If your page template uses `CONTEXTS/fmt:pagetitle`, get rid of
>> this.  Use the `base-layout.pt` and it will handle your page title
>> for
>> you.
>
> base-layout still requires a page_title to remove the title from
> pagetitles.py, even though value is not used. I saw this while working
> on a leaf page (+packages).
>
> Since the breadcrumbs for many leaf pages are not English, and now show
> up in the browser title, we have a bigger problem. Should I be writing
> tests to verify we create insane titles? I think not.

To be clear, when you say "not English", do you mean, "are things like
+filebug that we don't ever want to make part of the title"?

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/429735 has already been
filed about +filebug specifically. Will there actually be a plethora
of pages like this? How will we identify such pages?

> I think I want to define an attribute on the view to provide the last
> breadcrumb. I looked at Hierarchy and see that the +value is coming from
> the URL, not an object. Can we mark the view with a interface, or claim
> it implements IBreadcrumb to provide the text attr?

Rather than addressing this on a view-by-view basis, how can we change
the default title mechanism to avoid the +foo?

Also, in a later post, Barry suggested filing some bugs. If they've
been filed, could you please share the numbers?

Thanks,
jml