Re: Windmill and uuid listening on the ports we're using

On September 16, 2009, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 09:15:05AM -0400, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> > On September 15, 2009, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:

> > > Well, actually we do have this problem. I'm making the Windmill tests
> > > run in a subclass of AppServerLayer, which starts an SMTP server. After
> > > windmill and the SMTP server is stopped, libuuid has started listening
> > > on the port the SMTP server used. I've worked around it for now by
> > > stopping the server before starting Windmill, since I don't think any
> > > tests use it, but I'd like to solve this properly.
> >
> > Since that's in our code, we should probably do the same thing. Catch
> > the port already in use and find another port.
>
> Yeah, I'll look into it.
>
> BTW, I did find out why this is happening. Windmill uses libuuid, which
> forks a process that inherits the parent process' file descriptors,
> including the open ports.

Ah, then this is a bug in libuuid I guess. It should closes all unused open
filedescriptor after forking. I guess it doesn't do an exec after the fork,
otherwise they would automatically be closed.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx