Re: BuildEngineer and ReleaseManagerRotation

On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Michael Hudson
<michael.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Hudson wrote:
Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
I finally got around to reviewing

    https://dev.launchpad.net/PolicyAndProcess/ReleaseManagerRotation

and

    https://dev.launchpad.net/BuildEngineer

They both look good (after some minor edits by me <wink>). I just wanted
to ask two things:

    a) Why does one page end in Rotation and fall under
       PolicyAndProcess, and the other not?

Dunno, it's a wiki, so it would be unnatural if it wasn't random and
inconsistent?

    b) How is the BuildEngineer rotation going this cycle?

I think it's going pretty well.  The role is quite stressful in some
ways, with lots of things that take far longer than you'd think and
fighting with systems that no-one really understands any more.

Oh, I guess I should say that I find this part of the role:

 * Monitor the buildbot and ensure smooth operation of builds.
o This means monitoring the builders and making sure that somebody is
    assigned to fixing any build failures or errors as they arise.

to be perhaps not be the greatest idea, mostly because build failures
need to be fixed *now*, not when the build engineer wakes up, and also because I think part of the point of being the BE is that it allows you
to get away from being distracted by the 1001 things we all have
pressing at us constantly.

Systemic issues that affect the reliable functioning of buildbot should of course be very high priority build engineer issues -- but that's not
the same thing.

There's room for debate here I guess.

Well, there's always room for debate. However, I very strongly agree
with your preceding points.

+1 from me as well.