Re: Reverse breadcrumbs in page titles

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 05:50 -0500, Deryck Hodge wrote:

> The two most convincing arguments in favor of this is are having
> consistent page titles across the site and improved Google-fu.  I've
> already asked Martin what exactly google-fu is... PageRank? Search
> result placement? More of our pages in search results?  I was told
> it's the latter of these that Martin is concerned about.  I just can't
> see how these reverse breadcrumbs gain us any more of our pages in
> Google results.  In fact, it looks a lot like keyword stuffing and
> could get us penalized.  While data may suggest that no one looks at
> the title in the browser, there are plenty of credible sources, both
> inside Google and outside, that suggest that making human-readable
> page elements does much more for search engine placement.

Can I add to this that page titles are incredibly valuable; they are how
one selects positions in browser history to jump to - I've filed, and
will keep filing, bugs when browser titles are poor or useless.

Reverse breadcrumbs would be better than many page titles we have today,
FWIW. Search terms in them would be better still :)

-Rob