Re: Reverse breadcrumbs in page titles

Barry Warsaw wrote:

OTOH, I do occasionally look at the title and I want to see something useful there. A bug number, a project name, a person's name, a question number. That's really all I care about. I don't generally care that it's nice and human readable, and in fact, if the most important piece of information (say the bug number) were the first thing in the title, I think that would be /more/ useful to me.

YMMV but for us in Translations the reverse breadcrumbs have worked out really well, _after_ a concerted effort to make sure that (1) each breadcrumb mentions exactly one piece of context (either some kind of object name or a static generic page name, never both), and (2) there are enough breadcrumbs to leave a meaningful trail. We did this as a separate, fast pass over the UI once everything was in place.

For the cases I've looked at, the essential first bit of the page title often reads more or less as hand-crafted prose--but without all the hard, inconsequential, and inconsistent choices about how to phrase them.

For instance, we have:

Change details : Catalan : Languages

"evolution" source package : Translations : 9.10 : Ubuntu

Remove translation team : German : Launchpad Translators : Translation groups

They're never perfect and the tails dangle, but the part I care about the most and get to see the most does everything it needs to. Change details: Catalan (under Languages). Evolution source package: Translations (in version 9.10 of Ubuntu). Remove translation team: German (in Launchpad Translators, the translation group).

We may have been lucky in how neatly our UI maps onto a tree-like view. I'd be curious to know if other teams run into very different situations where it doesn't work, or whether we're still just suffering from old titles that need updating.

Jeroen