Re: Call for Suggestions: Making it easier to start hacking on Launchpad

Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> 2009/10/7 Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx>:
>> This might be a minority view, but personally I'm of the opinion that
>> getting a Launchpad dev instance up and running is sufficiently simple
>> and documented already.
>>
>> The hard part is not the setup, its learning enough about the code to
>> write useful changes.
>
> I'm inclined to agree. Are we not trying to use "easier" as a synonym
> for "less time consuming" here?

We've had pretty clear feedback from various parties (internally at
Canonical as well as here on this list) that the get-and-build part of
Launchpad development is quite daunting.

Even when everything goes right, it's got some bad steps (run a script
as root?  Blow away your Postgres?  Ick.)  Plus, often not everything
goes right, and it's very hard to figure out how to recover.

Max, I think it's not daunting for you because, well, you're Max.  And
Graham is also Max, or vice versa.

-K