Re: RabbitMQ and codehosting

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just to clarify. The reason I'm asking these question is that we should
> think carefully before adding another moving part. Foundations team has
> to do the initial setup, which requires time from LOSAs. Then the Code
> team has to take what Foundations did and integrate it with their work.
> I'm a strong believer in kiko's rule of software engineering: It will
> never work the first time. So this means even more work for Foundations,
> Code, and LOSAs. Will all these teams have time to take on this kind of
> work, given their current priorities?
>
> Also, this adds another thing for the LOSAs to run and maintain. What
> happens if there's something wrong with the RabbitMQ server (software or
> hardware). Do we run multiple servers to avoid Launchpad stop working if
> one server fails?
>
> These are all questions I'd like us to answer before committing to
> anything. Maybe these question have been answered already, but I haven't
> been involved in the discussion, so I don't know.

There's some shared knowledge within the company about RabbitMQ in general.

There was a Messaging Sprint back in March(?) where Muharem
participated, along with Gustavo for the Landscape team and Steve
Alexander. I don't remember who else was there, but there are notes in
the wiki about what was discussed.

Both Landscape and Ubuntu One are running RabbitMQ in production
successfully. We particularly haven't had any issues so far.

I would definitely recommend moving forward with adopting RabbitMQ,
but it is critical that some cross-team discussion happens such that
existing knowledge and specifications are shared.

-- Sidnei