Re: RabbitMQ and codehosting

2009/10/8 Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> For example, how often do you poll today? Can we increase the frequency,
>> so that it is like on-demand.
>
> I believe we usually poll every 5 minutes.  With bzr send handling, we
> need two scripts to run, so the time is cumulative.
>
> For update_preview_diff, we're polling every minute.  I think that
> polling more frequently would not be a responsible use of resources.
> These scripts take about 10 seconds to start up, so 10 seconds is the
> lower bound for polling.

Startup time can be easily taken out of the equation by doing the work
from a process that doesn't terminate when idle. Presumably you'll
want such a thing when you introduce messaging anyway, so you could
start by converting cron jobs to a process that polls frequently and
convert it to receive messages when that's available.