Re: RabbitMQ and codehosting

On Thursday 08 October 2009 22:21:20 Aaron Bentley wrote:
> I don't think so.  It's no coincidence that Muharem presented a Job
> system as a use case at the Epic.  Polling will never be as responsive
> or efficient as messaging.

I disagree with the word "never".

I am a huge fan of messaging systems and I have a lot of experience with them
and also with polling-based solutions.

Consider the situation where you have several updates causing diff requests on
the same branch.  You're only interested in the last change; with a message
for each diff request, calculating the diffs in-between is a waste as you will
throw them away with subsequent diff processing.  If you were to periodically
poll, you would see only the most recent change and work with that.

This is a slightly contrived example but you get my drift.

Basically, there is a trade-off between responsiveness and efficient
processing.