Re: Call for Suggestions: Making it easier to start hacking on Launchpad

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM, James Westby <jw+debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed Oct 07 15:05:08 +0100 2009 Stuart Bishop wrote:
>> Write a fully scripted install that turns a minimally installed hardy or karmic
>> box into a Launchpad development environment.
>
> How is this different to the rf-setup script? Just that it works from a known
> state and so is less likely to go wrong?
>
>> Developers can download and boot the virtual machine.
>
> Of all the free software projects I have ever hacked on this would be the
> first that had suggested that I use a VM to do it.
>
> Not that it is necessarily a terrible idea, but isn't there something that
> can be done that doesn't require running essentially a whole new machine
> to hack on Launchpad?

I agree, we need to aim for not needing a whole new machine, as well
as aiming for your earlier post of:
 bzr branch lp:launchpad
 cd launchpad
 make run

However, a simpler way to get a VM might be a good incremental step. Maybe.

Also, bug 107371 "Make the test suite able to be run in parallel on a
single machine" probably is relevant to this discussion.
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/107371

jml