Re: [RFC] The right combination of breadcrumb and heading

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Michael Nelson wrote on 07/10/09 13:21:
>> Yet another breadcrumb/heading question :) Basically, which is better:
>
>> Option 1: low redundancy:
>
>> H1: Define upstream link
>> BC: Ubuntu >> 9.04 >> mozilla-firefox source package >> Define
>> upstream link
>
>> or
>
>> Option 2: redundancy and possibly google-fu (h1 being weighted?)
>
> Google-fu is not an issue here: Google doesn't have permission to see
> this page.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - the above is just an example for a general
question regarding all our h1+breadcrumbs.

>> H1: Define upstream link for mozilla-firefox in Ubuntu Jaunty
>> BC: Ubuntu >> 9.04 >> mozilla-firefox source package >> Define
>> upstream link
>
>> I'm not sure how we envisage people using the heading+breadcrumbs
>> together (ie. do people look at both as a single unit, or do peoples'
>> eyes scan the h1 for context and only look at breadcrumbs if they need
>> to navigate within the current context etc.)
>
> In your next user testing, I suggest testing a branch that displays
> realistic-looking but completely wrong breadcrumbs, e.g. "Ubuntu » Hoary
> placement, I predict most people wouldn't even notice.

Sure - the placement and style is out of the scope of my question (I
assume a lot of discussion by designers went into their
placement/style). But I'm not sure whether you're implying that the h1
heading is a more important source of context either way? (ie. something
closer to option 2).

Just to summarize for the reviewer meeting, the consensus here seems to
be for option 1. I'm not sold on the idea that the h1 should be the same
as the leaf breadcrumb - I think we need more context in the h1 (as it's
what my eyes read to know what I'm looking at) - but I'm also for
consistency, so will happily implement what's decided from now on :).

In case of discussion in the reviewers meeting, here are a few egs where
I think the h1 includes the context correctly, but would change if we
used option 1:

https://edge.launchpad.net/firefox/3.6

Mozilla Firefox 3.6 series
Mozilla Firefox >> Series 3.6

https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/~danilo/+imports

Translation import queue for Данило Шеган
Данило Шеган >> Translations >> Import queue

https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/kdewebdev

Translations for kdewebdev in Ubuntu Hardy
Ubuntu >> 8.04 >> Translations >> “kdewebdev” source package

There are also lots of other examples where I think we've put too much
context in the leaf breadcrumb (probably *because* we are using it as
the h1 also - ie. label=page_title). In these cases I had thought that
we should keep the context in the h1, but lose it in the leaf breadcrumb:

https://edge.launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+related-projects

Projects related to Mozilla Team
“Mozilla Team” team >> Projects related to Mozilla Team

(perhaps "Related projects")?

Cheers!
-Michael