Re: Bug page polish

Aaron Bentley wrote:
- Show the relationship between bugtasks better. Where did the bug
originate? Where was it fixed? What is it blocked on?  In general, if a
bug has a bugtask on a package and on upstream, it's pretty safe to say
that it depends on upstream fixing it first.

Why?  I would think we have the option of fixing it first and then
propagating the fix to upstream?

Absolutely. So this would be the default assumption, and if it got marked as fix committed/released in a package first, we would flip that around. I say we should assume that by default because, well, upstream bugs *are* upstream bugs, even if we fix them, ideally, we would fix them upstream.

- Related branches is too vague. If there's a branch linked to a bug,
what you're really saying is "this probably fixes it".

Not always.  Sometimes you're saying "this mitigates it."  Sometimes
you're saying "this branch makes one of several changes required to fix
it."  (Today, I'm landing a branch of
lp:~launchpad-pqm/lp-production-configs/trunk that is a prerequisite for
switching to an updated bzr version, which will mitigate oopses like
OOPS-1389UPD44)

Well, it still fixes some of it. "Related" could be *anything*.

- Adding attachments workflow needs to be finished off. Ajaxified, show
them in a better way than squished in small a box on the bottom right,
attached patches should be shown in the same place as linked branches,
and images, in a perfect world, should show a thumbnail.

And for patch attachments, provide a way to propose it for merging?

That would rock, yes.

I think it would also be interesting to explore pinning a comment as the
description like web forms often pin posts, rather than having the
description and comments be completely separate things.

Pinning comments would be great, yes. Especially for things like "this is the definitive answer for this bug". I don't think the description should be dropped in favor of comments (we want to add a description to merge proposals), but it's certainly something worth discussing, and especially unifying on.

--
Martin