Re: [RFC] More details for merge proposals shown on bugs and branches (long)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One thing that has been talked about recently is showing more of the
>> interesting information about the merge proposal on the branch and bugs pages.
>>
>> Lets look at the branch page first.
>>
>> Right now looking at two branches, I see the following:
>>
>> For a rejected proposal:
>>  Rejected for merging into lp:launchpad
>>
>> For one going through a review:
>>  Needs review for merging into lp:launchpad/devel
>>
>> And an approved one:
>>  Approved for merging into lp:launchpad/devel
>>
>> Now this is nice and all, but it doesn't really give enough information.
>> Other bits of information that it would be useful to see would be:
>>  * who rejected the proposal
>>  * who did the reviews and what were their statuses
>>  * how big is the diff
>>

> * How long it's been in that state for.
> * The diff itself
>
>> I propose showing the completed and pending reviews under the line summarising
>> the proposal, and also having the approver/rejecter available as tool tips.
>>
>>  Rejected for merging into lp:launchpad
>>      Jonathan Lange: Approve (code)
>>      Stuart Bishop: Reject (db)
>>      Diff: 773 lines
>>
>> * "Rejected" links to the main proposal page and has the title text
>>  "Stuart Bishop on 2009-06-17" to show who rejected it
>> * Reviewers link to the user page, votes are coloured like the review table on
>> the main page, review type is in brackets if it has a review type
>> * The diff should hyperlink to the diff itself
>>  - I'd like to have a form overlay lazy loaded with the diff if the user left
>> clicks
>> just renders the diff?
>>
>> Pending reviews would show like:
>>
>>  Needs review for merging into lp:launchpad
>>    Canonical Launchpad Engineering: Pending
>>    Diff: 75 lines
>>

>> Now on the bugs page, we only show a branch now, and this also shows the
>> status of the branch (which is next to useless - only next to useless as
>> showing merged is actually useful).
>>
>> e.g. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/376279
>>
>> Here we see:
>>  lp:~mwhudson/twisted/fix-FILEXFER_ATTR_ACMODTIME  (Development)
>>
>> Now there is an approved merge proposal for this branch (as seen from the
>> branch page).
>>
>>  Approved for merging into lp:~launchpad-pqm/twisted/trunk
>>
>> I propose that we effectively show what shows on the branch page under the
>> branch link, and also remove the status (unless it is merged).
>>

> Agreed. Perhaps the actual logic shouldn't rely too much on the branch
> status, since you can also get whether or not a branch is merged from
> its merge proposal.
>
>> So, on this page we'd see:
>>  lp:~mwhudson/twisted/fix-FILEXFER_ATTR_ACMODTIME
>>  Approved for merging into lp:~launchpad-pqm/twisted/trunk
>>    Tim Penhey: Approve
>>    Diff: 12 lines

> [...]

Just to be clear, I strongly support the JFDI sentiments of Tim &
Kiko. However, if you want to do a little bit of reading on similar
issues:

  * "Tighter relationship between bug-branch links and merge proposals"
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/297872

  * "Detailed merged revision page"
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/343410

  * All of the bugs about this area of code:
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-project/+bugs?field.tag=bug-branch-links

jml