Re: Packageset URLs (Was: Re: pre-implementation call re. package set traversal change)

Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:45:19AM +0100, Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:
>> Bjorn Tillenius wrote:

>>> Let's wait to discuss the implementation details. I'm a bit interested
>>> in how a URL for a package set looks like. You said on IRC that you
>> With the database schema changes that already landed on db-devel package
>> set names cease to be unique globally i.e. a package set names are now
>> only unique in combination with a distro series.
>>
>> That breaks the existing package set naming/traversal scheme.
>>
>>> decided to give package sets it's own top-level space. And looking at
>>> the code, a URL path looks like:
>>>
>>>     /package-set/desktop
>>>
>>> And with a distro series, it would be either
>>>
>>>     /package-set/desktop/hoary
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>>     /package-set/hoary/desktop
>> In order to fix the currently broken traversal scheme for package sets
>> and have a working LP API after the roll-out on 04-Nov-2009 I will need
>> to land a branch that adopts the URI structure above (e.g.
>> /package-sets/karmic/kernel-packages) today.
>>
>> Having said that, I am wide open to discussing package set URI/traversal
>> changes for the forthcoming LP developement cycle.
>
> Right, it makes sense to fix this to keep it working. However, it's
> quite important to think about the URL structure, considering a few
> basic use cases, before deciding what it should be. It sounds like we
> definitely want to change it, and now you have the problem that people
> will rely on the initial URL. Which means that you either have to make
> sure that the old URL still works, or say "sorry guys, you're script
> will break, and you will have to adjust them to work with the new URL
> structure. The latter is quite hard to do, since you don't know who have
> alrady written scripts that deal with package sets.

I guess we are a bit lucky this time. As far as I am aware only Colin
Watson has been using the package sets until now.

It seems we are all in violent agreement regarding the (new) package set
URL :) it shall be as follows:

    /$distribution/$distroseries/+packageset/$packageset

e.g. "/ubuntu/karmic/+packages/mozilla"

Best regards

--
Muharem Hrnjadovic <muharem@xxxxxxxxxx>