Re: Packageset URLs (Was: Re: pre-implementation call re. package set traversal change)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 05:36:40PM +0100, Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:
> I guess we are a bit lucky this time. As far as I am aware only Colin
> Watson has been using the package sets until now.

Well, that's the point, you said "As far as I am aware", which means
that you don't know who are using them :) That's the thing when you
expose something via the API, you get people to use it in ways you
didn't expect. Sure, for package sets this might not be the case.

> It seems we are all in violent agreement regarding the (new) package set
> URL :) it shall be as follows:
>
>     /$distribution/$distroseries/+packageset/$packageset
>
> e.g. "/ubuntu/karmic/+packages/mozilla"

One question, though. From IRC:

    < jml> al-maisan, AIUI, DistributionPackageSets have names too, right?
    < jml> al-maisan, where are you putting them in the traversal?
    < al-maisan> jml: no
    < al-maisan> we did away with the names for DistributionPackageSets

We did away with the explicit name, but a DistributionPackageSets still
has an implicit name.

How do you navigate to a package set from /ubuntu? I would assume that
you would stay in the Distribution context, and have something like
/ubuntu/+packageset/mozilla. This is similare to how you navigate to
source packages. If you are on /ubuntu and go to the mozilla package,
you end up at /ubuntu/+source/mozilla, not at
/ubuntu/karmic/+source/mozilla

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt