Re: Dogfooding Launchpad for real (or, new tag: "lp-dogfood")

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 12:42 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Throughout our design process in 2005 and 2006, our routine examples
> for
> project groups (then known as "projects") were Gnome, KDE, and
> Mozilla.
> For groups like those, you would not want the dup finder to work
> across
> the project group; for example, it would make no sense for a bug
> search
> in the Totem project to turn up bugs reported on Cheese, or for a bug
> search in the Fennec project to turn up bugs reported on Thunderbird.

!citation

A bug in glib will cause a segfault at approximately the same place much
of Gnome. What is the basis for saying that the dup finder should /not/
work across all these products (or indeed wider afield). Assertion:
Users filing bugs do not know which libraries are in use, but the fault
is most likely in the transitive closure of the packages dependencies.
I'd say that the dup finder should work more broadly than project
groups, when we have backtrace and installed dependency data; where we
only have a text description, any data we do have about project
relationships could help get a decent match (say from libxml2 rather
than evolution, even though the user thinks its evolution).

> Sharing: What things do you want to want to share across codebases,
> and
> how often? Milestones? Branches? Bug search results? Bugs? Blueprints?
> Announcements? Launchpad has ad-hoc mechanisms for sharing bug reports
> and translations across projects. Are groups the best way of solving
> other sharing problems?
>
> Subdivision: In what situations are people interested in, or limited
> to,
> a particular area of a codebase? For example, checking in code to
> Mozilla's security components used to be (and may still be, I don't
> know) restricted to a smaller group of people than the rest of the
> codebase; is that something Launchpad Code should support? Curtis
> Hovey
> is interested in bugs in Foundations, Blueprints, Answers, and
> Registry,
> while Diogo Matsubara may be interested in oopses and timeouts across
> the codebase; what is the best way of supporting those
> classifications?

I guess privacy and multiple groups-of-people having their own private
bugs about a single code base fall under the subdivision theme? I think
these are good questions to ask regardless of whether Gnome/KDE are
candidate migrators to Launchpad.

-Rob