Re: Error during Launchpad environment setup (was Fwd: Traceback)

Jonathan Lange wrote:

The workaround was modifying the script so that it didn't look in 8.4,
thus allowing it to modify 8.3. (Thanks to wgrant & maxb for helping
with this)

This problem is set to come back with every postgres version bump. The newer postgres version sets itself up to run on a different port than the one that's already on the system. The previous version probably grabbed the default 5432 port which LP connects to.

Would it make sense to have a zc.buildout-managed postgres instance? It's not hard to set up a local cluster, under the current system user's id, with a Unix-domain socket--something I've been wanting for a long time but never got around to working on. The "all your db are belong to us" assumptions we have now are really ugly.

The hard part I guess would be making all Launchpad components respect the lazr-configured connection setup. But didn't statik already put in a lot of work for this?

Jeroen