Re: Immediate plan for Build Farm generic jobs

On November 25, 2009, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Francis J. Lacoste
>
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> That seems pretty gross.
>
> I don't think it's gross. I think recipes need names, and so this
> schema is unrealistic.
>
> (owner, distroseriessourcepackage, recipename) seems about right to
> me. I guess there's some code in branchnamespace.py that can be
> re-used.
>
> > And we have a policy in Launchpad (broken in at least one place -
> > blueprint vocabulary) not to expose meaningless internal database
> > identifiers to end users.
>
> Where's the policy?

It might one of those unwritten policy. It should probably be documented in
the (UI)? Design Conventions, but we don't have such a page either.

> mpt was arguing for a while that merge proposals should be done like
> this. Also, we expose database IDs for bugs.

The Bugs case is different in that it's a bug number (which happens to reuse
the database identifier). The bug number is well-exposed in the UI. The reason
it was used was also because a bug could live in many context and it is
impractical to give a nickname to all bugs and try to manage a coherent
namespace on top of that.