Re: bugtasks, context

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 18:34 -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> So, bugtasks.
>
> I'd like to bring forward a problem that seems to be popping up more and more
> as we focus on breaching the gap: bugtasks and context.
>
> As it stands today, if you're looking at an upstream bug that also has a
> bugtask for a package in Ubuntu, and you want to nominate that bug, you can't.
> You need to start hacking around to get to the bug from the package context (if
> you manage to figure out that's what you need to do).
> A quick hack^fix would be to let people click on bugtasks and the context gets
> automagically changed.
>
> A profound fix could be to collapse targeting to milestones and series into one
> column/widget, and offering nomination for those who are permission-less, and
> optionally for those permission-ful(?).
> The "target" is the only bit that is context-specific outside of the bugtask
> row (creating this problem).
> Collapsing these two ties into an additional change that slipped 3.0, which was
> to *not* automatically create a new bugtask when targeting a series, as the
> only case that seems to make sense is backports.
> I'd be happy to hash out the UI, I've had a gazillion discussions already
> around this, and have a pretty clear idea of what it could look like
>

> I'd love to argue that collapsing the two "Also affects" into one is part of
> this, but it probably isn't (but please do).

There is also an argument from the distro side that that nominate/also
affects do not work. The workers are over whelmed by the number of poor
nominations and have talked to us about removing it. This is too much
like voting--we all know that democracy and software do not mix.

As a non-privileged Ubuntu user, they only reason I think I could
justify nominating a bug is if I have a patch or am committing to
provide a patch.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/