Re: process experiment proposal - move all our bugs to launchpad.net/launchpad

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Tom Berger <tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/12/2 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ... I don't think
>> there is any real sense in which, malone say, is a separate *project*
>> from registry. It grates on me that we model it that way in Launchpad.
>> Ideally, we'd have one project (launchpad) and many teams, and work
>> could be coordinated through teams. Would you agree with this?
>
> Not quite. For users to be able to effectively file bugs without
> creating a lot more work triaging, they need to be able to tell us
> which component of Launchpad the bug is in. We then take this
> information and feed it to the team responsible for that component for
> triaging and resolution. If we scrapped sub-projects we'd need another
> way of capturing that information, so unless we have a better way of
> doing that I'm not sure I agree that it's desirable to get rid of
> sub-projects.

Oh right, components.

I agree that we need some way of modelling that. I think that our
current projects are a poor model of the actual components of
Launchpad. AFAICT, things like the librarian, the codehosting SSH
server and the soyuz publishing service are all separate components,
but none of them have their own LP project. Instead, they are mixed in
with other components.

My hunch is that people are already using tags in an almost rigorous
way to model this.

jml