Re: bugtasks, context

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Martin Albisetti
<martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, bugtasks.
>
> I'd like to bring forward a problem that seems to be popping up more and
> more as we focus on breaching the gap: bugtasks and context.
>
> As it stands today, if you're looking at an upstream bug that also has a
> bugtask for a package in Ubuntu, and you want to nominate that bug, you
> can't. You need to start hacking around to get to the bug from the package
> context (if you manage to figure out that's what you need to do).
> A quick hack^fix would be to let people click on bugtasks and the context
> gets automagically changed.

Interesting.

This might be a naive question, but why do bugs need to have a context at all?

> A profound fix could be to collapse targeting to milestones and series into
> one column/widget, and offering nomination for those who are
> permission-less, and optionally for those permission-ful(?).

Do you think this would help newer users "get" milestones and series?
My kneejerk reaction is that this will make them more confusing -- but
I'm not really exercising much imagination here.

> The "target" is the only bit that is context-specific outside of the bugtask
> row (creating this problem).
>
> Collapsing these two ties into an additional change that slipped 3.0, which
> was to *not* automatically create a new bugtask when targeting a series, as
> the only case that seems to make sense is backports.
> I'd be happy to hash out the UI, I've had a gazillion discussions already
> around this, and have a pretty clear idea of what it could look like

Seeing a UI would really help me, since I haven't been a part of those
discussions and don't have a clear idea.

> I'd love to argue that collapsing the two "Also affects" into one is part of
> this, but it probably isn't (but please do).

It isn't. We should do it. Bridging the gap and all that.

jml