Re: process experiment proposal - move all our bugs to launchpad.net/launchpad

On Dec 07, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Tim Penhey wrote:

>> My hunch is that people are already using tags in an almost rigorous
>> way to model this.
>
>Yes we do, but I think we should still look to add components at some stage.

I agree.  I don't think tags are actually the right fit for this, though
they're the best we have right now.  Some things you could do once you have
proper components:

 * auto-assign bugs in that component to a person/team for triage
 * get an overview of the general health or velocity of a component
 * manage structural subscriptions on a component level

One of the reasons why I think project groups and projects doesn't work is
because Launchpad isn't agile enough to let you narrow and widen your focus
easily based on your task.  Components can help this if done right.  For
example, sometimes I care about things project-wide, other times I care just
about a particular component.  Sometimes I care about my own personal
artifacts, other times I want to see a community-defined slice through them
(e.g. tags).

Using tags mixes too many orthogonal concepts together.  For example, it's
kind of silly to have tags like mailing-lists, ui, and trivial.  They're great
for letting community-driven organization emerge organically though.

-Barry