Re: bugtasks, context

Hi, all.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Martin Albisetti
<martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/06/2009 06:45 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Martin Albisetti
>> <martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>> So, bugtasks.
>>>
>>> I'd like to bring forward a problem that seems to be popping up more and
>>> more as we focus on breaching the gap: bugtasks and context.
>>>
>>> As it stands today, if you're looking at an upstream bug that also has a
>>> bugtask for a package in Ubuntu, and you want to nominate that bug, you
>>> can't. You need to start hacking around to get to the bug from the
>>> package
>>> context (if you manage to figure out that's what you need to do).
>>> A quick hack^fix would be to let people click on bugtasks and the context
>>> gets automagically changed.

Like Björn said, I don't think this is as quick a hack as you suspect.
 I do, however, wish you could click somewhere on the bugtask row and
change to the bug in that context.  I think it would subtly help drive
home the point of what multiple bugtasks are about.

>> Interesting.
>>
>> This might be a naive question, but why do bugs need to have a context at
>> all?
>
> We discussed context-less bugs during our UI sprint as well, it solved a few
> problems, but introduced others like:
> - What's the URL like?
> - What happens when I click on, say, code?
> ...and other that are not at the top of my head

I wasn't in these discussions, but I don't think the problem is
context.  I think it's all this series vs milestone and nominations
vs. targeting nonsense, which is where you end up here in your
proposal anyway.

>>> A profound fix could be to collapse targeting to milestones and series
>>> into
>>> one column/widget, and offering nomination for those who are
>>> permission-less, and optionally for those permission-ful(?).
>>>

>> Do you think this would help newer users "get" milestones and series?
>> My kneejerk reaction is that this will make them more confusing
>
> Agreed, but it would also hide the complexity for people who just don't
> care.
> My feeling is that the default path should be clear with not many questions
> on how
> to proceed, and people caring about more complex structures when, well, they
> care.

I agree with Martin here.  The user just wants to see this fix
released.  We need to hide the details from them, and if a mockup of
some collapsed functionality can express this sanely, I would be all
in favor of it.  I would not be in favor of a single dialog where the
user has to work out the difference between a series and a milestone.

I'm all also in favor of not creating a new bugtask on series nomination.

>>> I'd love to argue that collapsing the two "Also affects" into one is part
>>> of
>>> this, but it probably isn't (but please do).
>>>

>> It isn't. We should do it. Bridging the gap and all that.
>
> /me stares at over-worked Deryck

I'm not over worked, just sufficiently worked. :)

I actually think this could still be done as part of our work on bug
Q&A.  This change was discussed in designs for this feature and also
when we spec'ed out bug forwarding.  Maybe not *now* as jml puts it
(for any person's interpretation of now), but it's on our radar.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge