Re: Build engineer report, Dec 2009

On Jan 04, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

>Heh, Barry, now that you work on the Platform team, maybe you could find
>somebody to investigate that issue in ctags ;-)

;)

Well, I know what's going on, but I'm not sure it's a bug, or maybe whether
it's considered a bug by upstream.  One fun key to the puzzle is that our
Makefile's tags/TAGS target calls bin/ctags which is z3c.recipes.tag that ends
up calling /usr/bin/ctags.  This is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/ctags,
which itself may point to /usr/bin/exuberant-ctags if you have that package
installed, or something else (e.g. on one of my machines it's
/usr/bin/ctags.emacs-snapshot).

In any case, if you've got exuberant-ctags installed, what annoys us is
apparently caused by a change in behavior with version 5.8.  Here's the issue
in exuberant-ctag's SF tracker:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2829739&group_id=6556&atid=106556

The problem is that ctags is now adding entries for imports, and I agree with
that issue's OP that the added noise reduces the usefulness of the feature.
The issue has a workaround though which might make sense for Launchpad.  I
added this to my ~/.ctags file:

--python-kinds=-iv

(ctags --list-kinds explains that this disables the tagging of imports and
variables.)

and all was happy again.  I suggest putting a .ctags file with that setting at
the top of the Launchpad tree.

-Barry