Re: idea: show permissions in the web ui

Am 07.01.2010 04:27, Jonathan Lange schrieb:
>> "EditTeamByTeamOwnerOrTeamAdminsOrAdmins" (omg what a mouthful) it
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I think that this is a good idea, that our permissions system needs
> radical rethinking and that we shouldn't block the former on the
> latter.

Agreed on both points. I have just been through security.py and there
are a lot of permission checkers, a lot of them more complicated than
the example above. It looks very messy to me.

With the current system, each permission checker would need to return
its own "error string" but I am  not clear as to where on the page this
would appear. Tooltip? Because of the complexity, these strings would
get quite long and different things on a page will be protected by
different permissions.

But I like any approach that makes the UI more transparent to the user,
so I think this might be worth the effort.

Henning