Re: Bug heat UI

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:31:40 +0000
Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2010/1/13 Gavin Panella <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> >

> >> I assumed there would be X different icons/indicators representing
> >> varying degrees of hotness.  So as a simple example, let's say there
> >> are 3 icons (I think in practice 5-7 is more appropriate) --
> >> low_heat_icon.png, med_heat_icon.png, and high_heat_icon.png.  The
> >> total group of hot bugs would be split into these categories based on
> >> the heat numbers for that project.  A heat of 500 might be low for an
> >> active project with 1000 bugs having some heat value but high in a
> >> project with only 20 bugs with a heat value.
> >
> > I think the display used by Spotify, amongst others, to display song
> > popularity is quite good. I've attached a (tiny) screenshot. A log
> > scale would stop any sun-hot bugs from dominating. It could be coloured
> > too, redder to the right perhaps, as an additional cue.
>
> My vote is for simpler-is-better - i.e. 3 icons representing low,
> medium and high bug heat. At least for the first iteration of this
> feature (incremental improvement and all that).

I think a bar would be easier than icons.

If we choose, say, 3 levels, we have to decide into which level each
bug falls. Which means we need to either choose arbitrary partitions,
or calculate them.

IMO, a really simple first iteration would be to have a bar sized
directly proportional to the bug heat, with no log scale, and no
variable colour.