Re: "make check" is broken

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 03:16:42PM +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 January 2010 14:32:48 Maris Fogels wrote:
> > Ok, that is really strange.  xvfb is used to run Firefox in a headless
> > environment, and should only by run by buildbot.
> >
> > Looks like moving the the JS continuous integration onto mainline pulled
> >  those builder-specific changes along with them.
> >
> > One option: check for a DISPLAY environment variable.  If it exists, then
> >  you are not the buildbot!  And you don't need xvfb.  If it does exist,
> >  then use the xvfb harness.  Sound good?
>
> Actually I would prefer it always uses xvfb by default - that way I don't get
> firefox popping up and down and getting in my way.  It's rather annoying!  You
> probably want a switch so it can run like that though, if you want to watch
> it.

Agreed. My plan is to use xvfb be default, but allowing you to not using
it, in case you need to debug what's going on. Having Firefox pop up
suddenly is really annoying.

> Another thing I just noticed, I am running the tests on a separate box of mine
> that I am ssh'ed into.  It had this error when I was running with bin/test:
>
> {{{
>   Set up canonical.testing.layers.BaseWindmillLayer in 0.000 seconds.
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>   Set up lp.bugs.windmill.testing.BugsWindmillLayerError: cannot open display:
> localhost:10.0

I would say that this is a setup issue on your box. But then you said
that a new realease fixed it. Can you point to the changelog?

> And it seems stuck there.  :(
>
> I second a another email that said js tests are not ready to block landings
> yet.

Do you think it's acceptable that some parts of the UI might be totally
un-usable?

How do you propose we find all these issues that needs to be
fixed, before the tests "are aready"? The only issues so far is this
issue, which you are the only one to see, and the issue that Paul and
Tim reported. I'm looking at the latter now (which I hadn't seen before,
even though I ran the Windmill tests quite a lot), and I have no way of
reproducing your issue. How about we all ship and and make the tests
"ready", if they aren't already?

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt