Re: RFC on build from branch UI

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Michael Nelson
<michael.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You can see the details at:
>
> https://dev.launchpad.net/BuildBranchToArchiveUI

Hi Michael, this looks great. I've gone through the document and have
a few questions to raise.

General impressions:
- In target user audiences, I wonder why you left out "Project
maintainers". It seemed like one of the primary users for this. I'm
also a bit confused as to whether the target audience is for "people
who will use the feature" (the ones who will interact with the UI) or
"people who will benefit from this feature" (this would just be people
installing PPAs)
- Reading through this document ah brought back the itching need to
link PPAs to projects. Many things would be much easier!
- It seems to me from the UI, that I won't be able to easily say
"build this every day in Lucid, Karmic, Jaunty and Hardy". I feel
that's the way many people are using it today

Manual build of the latest branch revision:
- I understand it as as a one-off action, I think we should show what
specific revision you're building, and maybe a link to it
- I wonder why the packaging branch isn't something you can search for
and change. IIRC, there are some advanced use cases where you use more
voodoo, but the common case would be marvelously simple if you would
just select a packaging branch to create a recipe
- I'm not sure if "start build" is the right wording, as it may take
hours to build  :)  Maybe just "Build"?
- When you expand the recipe, it seems as though you can edit it right
there. There's may be some confusion involved in whether you're just
editing it for that build, or editing the recipe all together
- I'm not sure what the "# bzr-builder..." text is above the textarea
- The "Need help creating a recipe?" link would probably be useful in
the unexpanded area
- What's the UI for when I want to build but there are no recipes?  I
imagined that will be the first experience for everybody, so we should
really nail that

Daily builds:
- I wonder if we could use a drop down instead of an expander with
options like "Build revision XXX" and "Build daily"

Phew, sorry it got long. I wanted to give a quick turnaround.

cheers,
--
Martin